Novara Dorn works with business, nonprofit, and individual clients in Michigan and throughout the United States. Below is a sampling of some representative matters of the types we regularly handle for our clients.
Commercial Real Estate
- On the heels of the recession, assisted large institutional client in the multi-million dollar disposition of non-performing real estate portfolio, including golf courses, multi-tenant commercial rentals, subdivisions, and other real property.
- Negotiated, conducted extensive due diligence, and closed GSA-acquisition deals totaling over $300 million.
- Structured deals including mezzanine financing of commercial developments in SE Michigan.
- Closed over $600 million in commercial investments on behalf of several open-ended investment funds.
- Reviewed and negotiated terms of complex leveraging transactions.
- Prepared Borrower legal opinion letters for commercial borrowers, including developers and business owners.
- Advised a nonprofit medical organization and its members regarding legal issues including anti-kickback and self-referral laws; scope of practice matters; and patient privacy issues.
Nonprofits, Tax exempt Organizations, and Corporate Governance
- Advised a national education organization regarding corporate governance matters, including drafting investment policies.
- Advise various arts organizations regarding federal tax exemption, local property tax exemption and state charitable registration compliance.
- Prepare applications for tax exempt status for multiple charitable organizations, including a state-backed investment fund, a technology incubator and a think tank.
- Represented non-profits in compliance issues, STARK-law issues, contract issues.
- Successfully petitioned and obtained reinstatement of a tax-exempt entity that battled the revocation of its tax-exempt status.
Tax Credit Finance
- Represented developer in one of the largest new markets tax credit deals of 2014 (almost $60 million in tax credit allocation).
- Represented a tax exempt federally qualified health care facility developing a new facility with new markets tax credits, brownfield tax credits and other economic development incentives.
From our Southfield office, Novara Dorn serves clients in Metropolitan Detroit, throughout Michigan and nationally. We invite you to contact us at (248) 945-0523 or by e-mail to discuss our services and learn more about how we can serve you and your organization.